3 Steps To Reclaim Your Health And Happiness
1. Admit And Define Your Problem
- All screen activities are linked to less happiness, and all non-screen activities are linked to more happiness.
- Teens who spend more than 5 hours/day on electronic devices are 74% more likely to commit suicide.
- Those who spend 6+ hours/week on social media are 47% more likely to say they are unhappy.
- >63% choose internet over sex
- >47% lose sleep over internet (I would argue much. much more)
Define what aspect of the Internet you are drawn to:
- Is it to be social and stay in touch with friends? (Social media for girls/women and multiplayer games for guys are common)
- Is it some part of the platform that contain an addictive element? Like watching funny clips on youtube, shopping for bargains or achieving higher score in a game?
- Is it to escape some other part of your everyday life? Like watching netflix while trying to procrastinate chores or work?
2. Start Following The 12:12-Routine
12 hours ON – 12 hours OFF
12 hours ONLINE – 12 hours OFFLINE
12 hours of STRESS – 12 hours of RECOVERY
12 hours of daylight (08:00-20:00) when you can:
- Use electronics
- Or do whatever you want to stress your body.
12 hours of darkness (20:00-08:00) when you can:
- Read, write or do small chores
Your Primal Clock – 12 Hours Of Daily Rest And Recovery
There should be as many hours in a day dedicated for recovery as there are for stress. We have spent about 12 hours in daylight, and 12 hours in darkness for millions of years before electricity was implemented in society.
Depending on your schedule and chronotype (circadian rythm and inner clock) – you could have 12 hours of rest between 18:00-06:00 or 22:00-10:00. But 4 out of 5 should go to bed before 22:00 in the evening.
3. Start Alternative Offline Recreational Activities
The three best practices:
- Reading – Any type of book; Novel, Comic, Magazine, Non-Fiction, Biography
- Expressive Writing – Journal, Book, Memoir, Reflection, Self Improvement
- Meditation – Breathing Exercise, Mindfulness
- Light Exercise – Evening walks with a friend/partner, Yoga, Swimming Etc.
- Socializing – Just hang out with friends and family
- Long baths/showers and hygiene routines
- Board-/Cardgames or play of some other sort
- Hobby – Musical Instruments, Language, Creative Work
- Listening to music and just talking
- Sleep – Powernaps, Go to bed 9+ hours before waking up
- Plan for tomorrow – Food Pack, Back Pack, Improvements, Breakfast preparation