The Addiction We Deny
Video Game Addiction
Online Shopping Addiction
Social Media Addiction
Online Gambling Addiction
= Internet Addiction
The Problem With Internet Addiction
The average adult spends more time on the internet than sleeping.
63% choose internet over sex.
47% lose sleep over internet.
48% neglect housework because they’re overspending time on the internet.
31% miss out on social interaction.
The addiction has become dangerous because of the high availability and hormonal dopamine response (sense of reward) from:
- Social media
- Video streaming (Netflix and Youtube)
With dopamine levels elevated, the drugs basically hijack the brain’s normal computational enjoyment and reward mechanisms, which results in lack of motivation, fatigue, addictive behavior, mood swings, depression and much more.
- Social media
… yet social face-to-face interaction is one of the most important things for happiness and one of the most powerful remedies for depression.
Internet Addiction Test (IAT) – Short Version
Please don’t try to fool yourself. Reflect and be honest.
Answer the subsequent questions by giving them a value from the following table:
0 = Not Applicable
1 = Rarely
2 = Occasionally
3 = Frequently
4 = Often
5 = Always
- ___How often do you find that you stay online longer than you intended?
- ___How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time online?
- ___How often do you prefer the excitement of the Internet to intimacy with your partner?
- ___How often do you lose sleep due to late-night log-ins?
- ___How often do you choose to spend more time online over going out with others?
- ___How often do you check your phone before something else that you need to do?
- ___How often do you snap, yell, or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
- ___How often do you find yourself saying “just a few more minutes” when online?
- ___How often do you try to cut down the amount of time you spend online and fail?
- ___How often do you feel depressed, moody, or nervous when you are off-line, which goes away once you are back online?
My Total Final Score (add numbers 1-10): ___________
How To Judge Your Test Result On IAT
NONE: 0 – 15 points
You are unique.
MILD ADDICTION: 16- 24 points
You are an average online user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.
MODERATE ADDICTION: 25 -39 points
You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You should consider their full impact on your life.
SEVERE ADDICTION: 40 – 50 points
Your Internet usage is causing significant problems in your life. You should evaluate the impact of the Internet on your life and address the problems directly caused by your Internet usage.
Can You Prove That You’re Not Addicted To The Internet?
– Internet Addiction Challenge
Stage 1 – Newbie
- Don’t touch your phone for 24 hours
- Don’t use (block) social media/youtube/games/shopping/porn/gambling/memes – on all personal devices – for 48 hours
- Turn off all internet connection (Wifi and Data Usage) – on all personal devices – for 24 hours
Stage 2 -Rookie
- Don’t touch your phone for 48 hours
- Do the meditation challenge
- Turn off all screens before 20:00 and put all devices in one place outside bedroom, 5 days in a row (sunday-thursday)
Stage 3 – Prospect
- Turn off all internet connection (Wifi and Data Usage) – on all personal devices – for 7 days
- Be still and “meditate” for 60 minutes without doing anything else
- Read a book from cover to cover on a single day
Stage 4 – Reclaimer
- Follow the 12:12-routine