Internet Addiction Test (IAT) – Short Version
Answer the subsequent questions by giving them a value from the following table:
0 = Not Applicable
1 = Rarely
2 = Occasionally
3 = Frequently
4 = Often
5 = Very Often
1. ___How often do you find that you stay online longer than you intended? (10+ minutes bathroom break anyone?)
2. ___How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time online? (48% do often or always, think about it)
3. ___How often do you prefer the excitement of the Internet to intimacy with your partner? (63% of women do often or always)
4. ___How often do you lose sleep due to late-night log-ins? (47% do often or always)
5. ___How often do you choose to spend more time online over going out with others? (31% do often or always)
6. ___How often do you check your phone before something else that you need to do? (I would say 90% check their phone in the bathroom before wiping)
7.___How often do you snap, yell, or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
8. ___How often do you find yourself saying “just a few more minutes” when online? (Or procrastinate telling yourself “I really should be doing X right now”)
9. ___How often do you try to cut down the amount of time you spend online and fail?
10. ___How often do you feel depressed, moody, or nervous when you are off-line, which goes away once you are back online?
My Total Final Score (add numbers 1-10): ___________
How To Judge Your Test Result On IAT
NONE: 0 – 15 points
You are unique. One of a kind. Congratulations! Or maybe you are just fooling yourself.
MILD ADDICTION: 16- 24 points
You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.
MODERATE ADDICTION: 25 -39 points
You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. Your health, relationships, happiness and performance are suffering.
SEVERE ADDICTION: 40 – 50 points
Your Internet usage is causing significant problems in your life. You should evaluate the impact of the Internet on your life and address the problems directly caused by your Internet usage.
What I do on the internet that consumes much of my time:
Email __ Social Media __ Messages __ Shopping __ Forums __ Memes __ Porn __ Games __ Gambling __ Video Streaming __ Other __
My essential daily internet use (work, bills, etc.):
How much (non-essential) time I spend on the internet every day:
Take The Next Step
Start following the 12:12-routine to treat your addiction.