Welcome To This First Episode Of CZ Syndrome Podcast!
Or subscribe to the podcast on Itunes or Podbean
Internet Addiction Runs Our Lives
We all want the same things. Maslow put it best in his hierachy of needs. You know this pyramid. The first thing we desire is physiological needs, like food, sleep, shelter. Then we have safety, on top of that love and belonging, then Esteem, and at the top we have self-actualization.
Somehow we’ve begun to ignore our fundamental needs and instead we spend our time chasing the top of the pyramid, instead of sex, social interaction, food and sleep, we have porn, facebook, games and netflix.
Some argue that this shift in us transcending with technology is inevitable. Perhaps it is. But our needs haven’t changed. Maslows pyramid is still the same.
Facebook and Google can try to replace our need for human contact, rest and challenges. But it’s going to take a lot more than a smartphone app to get there.
I challenge you to take a look at your own internet-use and emotional life.
Internet Addiction Test (IAT) – Short Version
Please don’t try to fool yourself. The average adult spends more time on the internet than sleeping, 48% neglect housework, 63% percent choose internet over sex, 31% miss out on social interaction, 47% lose sleep over internet. Reflect and be honest to yourself.
Answer the subsequent questions by giving them a value from the following table:
0 = Not Applicable
1 = Rarely
2 = Occasionally
3 = Frequently
4 = Often
5 = Always
- ___How often do you find that you stay online longer than you intended?
- ___How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time online?
- ___How often do you prefer the excitement of the Internet to intimacy with your partner?
- ___How often do you lose sleep due to late-night log-ins?
- ___How often do you choose to spend more time online over going out with others?
- ___How often do you check your phone before something else that you need to do?
- ___How often do you snap, yell, or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
- ___How often do you find yourself saying “just a few more minutes” when online?
- ___How often do you try to cut down the amount of time you spend online and fail?
- ___How often do you feel depressed, moody, or nervous when you are off-line, which goes away once you are back online?
My Total Final Score (add numbers 1-10): ___________
How To Judge Your Test Result On IAT
NONE: 0 – 15 points
You are unique.
MILD ADDICTION: 16- 24 points
You are an average online user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.
MODERATE ADDICTION: 25 -39 points
You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You should consider their full impact on your life.
SEVERE ADDICTION: 40 – 50 points
Your Internet usage is causing significant problems in your life. You should evaluate the impact of the Internet on your life and address the problems directly caused by your Internet usage.